Journey Finds Their New Lead Singer

39 369

Now here’s a story that should keep aspiring YouTube performers in front of their video cameras. One of the best-known classic rock groups of all time, Journey, has hired a new lead singer and they found him, yes, you guessed it, on YouTube!

This is the classic “dream come true” story featuring Arnel Pineda, a singer from the Philippines who was singing with a band called The Zoo. A band that was known for singing songs by Journey.

Hearing that name, I would more expect a Scorpions cover band, but I suppose it can work for these guys as well. The name sure didn’t seem to hurt Pineda’s chance to make it big.

Frustrated with the lack of a lead singer after the departure of Jeff Scott Soto earlier in the year, guitarist Neil Schon decided to spend some quality time on YouTube searching for the right singer.After hours of searching and nearly throwing in the towel, Schon stumbled onto the video of The Zoo performing “Faithfully,” and was convinced he had found Journey’s new singer.

As you can see from the accompanying YouTube video of Journey’s new front man, the dude can sing. Although he is not quite the same Steve Perry shoe-in that Steve Augeri was, to my ears he certainly sounds enough like Perry to pull this off.

Pineda comes to the group at the right time it seems. Journey is currently working on a new album that they hope to release sometime next spring or summer.

39 Comments

1. Sal June 3, 2008 at 5:48 am

SP is an old fart, he was the voice but had only one voice, This new guy has plenty of reserve voices and have higher range. Can do Led Zep, Styx, Toto, and perhaps 40 plus more voices. How many voices can Perry do? ONE. Maybe none right now.eND OF STORY.

2. Nik June 3, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I, too, thought that only SP could lead sing Journey; but I was pleasantly surprised to hear Arnel on CBS Sunday Morning. HE CAN DO SP JUSTICE! Give him a chance, if it’s the original Journey sound you are looking for, this is as close as you’ll probably ever get.

3. bassplayer June 6, 2008 at 8:17 am

Having spent a lot of time in the Philippines , I know they are an articulate , and fun loving people , not wealthy monitarily , yet wealthy in their joy of life . The way Arnel sings sends chills down my back , he is totally awesome , (and this from a Steve Perry follower )and I fully support him , and the band in there decision . Sana nasa mabuti kang kalagayan Arnel , and mabuhay !!!

4. danny jones June 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm

I agree with Sal. This guy is awesome…he can sing almost everything. Imitator? Give me a break. A guy that can sing aerosmith, styx, led zep, air suppy and heart????lol. Listen to the song on youtube ” the search is over” by survivor under zoobandrocks. This guy is kind of drunk and it’s his last song and belted it out like it’s nothing. I don’t think SP can imitate those songs.I already bought six ticket for the July 16th concert here in Los Angeles.Where is SP anyway??? I watch BON JOVI live on VIP suite at Staples Center…They don’t sound that good no more. I’ll pay double to see Journey anytime. 🙂 🙂 🙂

5. Linda June 12, 2008 at 5:19 pm

As I Listen, dance,and sing here to Journey’s new DVD AND watch Arnel I am awed at his performance. He can easily sing, sounding like my fave lead singer of all times, SP. Just got the new Revelation CD today..fair priced at Walmart, includes two CDs and a DVD of one of their concerts. Been going down memory lane here and thankful for Arnel and Journey puttin it out there!
    Journey Fan From Way Back!Linda

6. Jeff Parel June 15, 2008 at 5:14 pm

In this week’s ranking, Journey’s Revelation fanpack went #5 in Billboard’s top album chart (all genres). The album also took several top positions in other categories (even #1 in rock indie) on its debut week. It proves something very clear about AP’s role in keeping the Journey legacy alive.

7. James July 8, 2008 at 11:01 am

Watched the new Journey on VH-1 Classic this past weekend. I was very impressed. Still not the same without SP no matter how you slice it. No doubt the new guy can sing and cover all the tunes and the best replacement so far IMO. SP brought song writing to the table and ability to write those hooks we all love. It is more than singing alone and let’s see what this new guy brings to the table. I’m hoping for new and fresh songs that are a hit today. New album is doing well thus far which is a great start!

Still to me, Journey is SP. Without him before success, they did not go far, and without him after success they have not gone far. New album at least brings hope.

8. Will February 2, 2009 at 7:48 am

Look the guy is good he can sing a ton. But for journey he is not the right fit. My biggest complaint is you can here the Asian accent when he is singing some of the songs and te pronuceation of some words is off. That being said it really throws off the original Journey sound. Other than that the guy can really sing. He would be good in a karoke bar or a cover band not the real band. If it wasnt for the accent he would be a perfect fit, but there is nothing he can do about that now is there.

9. Janet February 4, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I was riding in my brother’s truck and he was playing Journey. I was singing along as I always do with those great Journey oldies. My brother turns the radio down and says “You know they got a new lead singer for the band.” Since I absolutely love Steve Perry’s voice, and I was unaware that he had left the group, I immediately said “Oh hell no, they can’t replace Steve, the band isn’t going to last, fans don’t like change!” Then my brother says “This is the new guy singing.” I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t notice the difference in their voices until I stopped to really listen and even still, it is soooooo close that no appreciation for the music is lost.

10. john August 18, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Just saw them at the Indiana State Fair….it’ll be the last time I do. This new lead singer can’t speak english and messed up many songs. UGG…Please fix it as I have been a fan for many years!

11. pete e. casino October 19, 2009 at 9:00 am

The best Journey lead singer ever have … very powerful voice…
    Steve Perry is nothing or other guys that replaced him …

12. sandra si November 8, 2009 at 2:03 am

I’m in LOVE with this new guy, his cute, sings like Steve what else do you want?

13. Enio Marini (Connecticut) March 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm

It can never be Journey without Steve Perry or Steve Smith
    No matter who tries to replace them exspecially Steve Perry!!!

14. avery November 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Look Journeys been my favorite band since I was little. and no one can replace steve Perry. EVER!!!! people always ask me, ‘why don’t you go to one of the concerts?’ Why would? the only person who can sing the main role is Steve Perry. He’s the only guy I’ll go and see. My dream is too go see Journey… the original band. the one and only.

1 2