A Chord Too Far
A Special Edition Four-Disc Boxset of Tony Banks Acclaimed Solo Career
Including Remixed And Unreleased Pieces
Release date July 31st, 2015
Founding member of Genesis, Tony Banks, is to release A Chord Too Far as a four-disc boxset, that brings together selected songs from his celebrated solo career. Released on Esoteric Recordings, a Cherry Red Records label, on July 31st.
With a tracklist personally selected by Tony, this special edition set consists of 49 songs and pieces, many of which have been remixed exclusively for this collection, and are from his seven solo and two orchestral albums – A Curious Feeling (1979), The Fugitive (1983), The Wicked Lady (1983) (film score), Soundtracks (1986) (a combination of original scores Tony wrote for films Starship and Quicksilver), Bankstatement (1989), Still (1991), Strictly Inc (1995), and his orchestral albums Seven: A Suite for Orchestra (2004) and SIX Pieces for Orchestra (2012) – culminating in this unique collection of his eclectic and diverse music. Also included are four unreleased pieces, three of which are keyboard demos of from his orchestral suites. The other is a piece originally written for the ‘Still’ album.
Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010 as a member of Genesis, Tony is one of the most respected songwriters and keyboardists in the world. His career spans almost 50 years and has seen him sell in excess of 130 million albums. His body of work is as innovative as it is eclectic. Genesis’ avant-garde style made them one of progressive rock’s founding fathers in the 1970s, creating an experimental style of rock music never before seen. They went on to produce music with a greater pop sensibility in the 1980s that saw them become one of the biggest selling bands of the decade, and play stadiums throughout the world.
His solo work has continued in the same vein. As well as his rock albums which has included collaborations with some of the world’s most respected musicians including singers Toyah Wilcox, Fish and Nick Kershaw, bassist Pino Pallodino, and drummers Steve Gadd and Vinnie Colaiuta, as well as long time Genesis collaborators Daryl Stuermer and Chester Thompson. He has done original scores for four films – The Shout (1978), The Wicked Lady (1983), Starship (1985) and Quicksilver (1986) and most recently his orchestral albums, Seven: A Suite for Orchestra and SIX Pieces for Orchestra, that were performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra and City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra respectively. Both were met with critical acclaim with classical music aficionados, Gramaphone Magazine, saying “A rock musician goes ‘classical’ – with pleasing and often effective results… for Banks has a genuine melodic gift… The recording is good, … acceptably spacious …”.
A Chord Too Far is a celebration of Tony’s work outside of Genesis, and the beginning of re-releases of remixed versions of his entire solo and orchestral catalog… A Curious Feeling and The Fugitive are set to be released at the end of October, with The Wicked Lady and Soundtracks at the end of January 2016. Further detail will be announced soon on his other albums.
A Chord Too Far, is released on July 31st, 2015 on Esoteric Recordings, a Cherry Red Records label.
A Chord Too Far – tracklist
• Rebirth – Taken From Soundtracks
• At The Edge Of Night – Taken From The Fugitive
• Walls Of Sound – Taken From Strictly Inc.
• Lion Of Symmetry – Taken From Soundtracks
• The More I Hide It – Taken From Bankstatement
• Shortcut To Somewhere – Taken From Soundtracks
• The Waters Of Lethe – Taken From A Curious Feeling
• I Wanna Change The Score – Taken From Still
• Water Out Of Wine – Taken From Still
• Something To Live For – Taken From Strictly Inc.
• By You – Taken From The Fugitive
• Never Let Me Know – Taken From Strictly Inc.
• Thirty Three’s – Taken From The Fugitive
• Charity Balls – Taken From Strictly Inc.
• An Island In The Darkness – Taken From Strictly Inc.
• The Border – Taken From Bankstatement
• Lucky Me – Taken From A Curious Feeling
• Another Murder Of A Day – Taken From Still
• Moving Under – Taken From The Fugitive
• Still It Takes Me By Surprise – Taken From Still
• Red Day On Blue Street – Taken From Still
• After The Lie – Taken From A Curious Feeling
• Redwing – Taken From Soundtracks
• Queen Of Darkness – Taken From Bankstatement
• A Piece Of You – Taken From Strictly Inc.
• Big Man – Taken From Bankstatement
• Angel Face – Taken From Still
• This Is Love – Taken From The Fugitive
• I’ll Be Waiting – Taken From Bankstatement
• Back To Back – Taken From Still
• For A While – Taken From A Curious Feeling
• Throwback – Taken From Bankstatement
• You Call This Victory – Taken From Soundtracks
• And The Wheels Keep Turning – Taken From The Fugitive
• You – Taken From A Curious Feeling
• The Final Curtain – Taken From Still
• Blade – Taken From Six Pieces For Orchestra
• Black Down – Taken From Seven
• Siren – Taken From Six Pieces For Orchestra
• Earthlight – Taken From Seven
• From The Undertow – Taken From A Curious Feeling
• Spring Tide**
• Neap Tide**
• City Of Gold**
• The Chase Taken From The Wicked Lady
• Kit Taken From The Wicked Lady
• The Wicked Lady – Taken From The Wicked Lady